On the move again...

Finally getting started on this blog, I don't really know why I keep putting them off, other than I have been a little lazy. I guess three hours in the airport has finally gotten me to get around to it.

I've decided to start this from Canada since most people reading this were with me in Florida. On the 7th I flew from Pensacola to Detroit, where my host Jeremy picked me up from the airport. My goodness! It was freezing. Actually, it still is as I am sitting in the Detroit airport right now. Jeremy took me to his home in Windsor, very close to the US border. I hung around there for five days or so before going to Niagara.

Niagara was about a four hour drive from Windsor. I kind of count this as my first trip to Canada, so it was nice to see a little bit of Ontario. I also got to see a very good amount of Canadian snow! We got to Niagara late afternoon, and walked down to falls. I was well equipped with Jeremy's coat, but man, it was freezing. It was beginning to get dark when we walked down to the falls. I would have loved to have seen them a couple hundred years ago, before there were any railings, or as many buildings. They must have looked even more spectacular then they are now.



On the way back to Windsor, Jeremy showed me where he grew up. It was a nice drive. On Sunday, I spent the night in Detroit so I could get my flight to Cancun early the next morning.

The flight was a little delayed, because the slides weren't functioning properly. Not like they would really help if we crashed in the ocean. Of course it was pouring when I arrived in Cancun. It cleared up once I got into the bus to go into the centre. Then it rained when I got out. Typical. I walked to Ricardo's house. He is the couch surfer that I am staying with. He lives fairly central.

Monday afternoon, I walked to Mercardo 28, an arty market nearby to Ricardo's house. It of course poured (again), and I got soaked. I didn't spend much time looking around. I then watched the original Tron with my host. Tuesday I went to the hotel zone. It was lovely. The weather that is, not the hotel zone. I laid on the beach for several hours, and got sunburned. I have these very unattractive red spots on my back. My pinky toes are also burned.

I got back to Ricardo's early afternoon. A canadian couch surfer, Tom had arrived. We had talked before hand about travelling together for a bit. We went to Mercardo 28 again, then got a bite to eat for dinner. I managed to get a vegetarian dish that did not consist of rice and beans. There were tortillas with boiled eggs inside and a mole sauce that was made with crushed almonds and pumpkin seeds. Yummy.

We then went for a bit of a walk around the city. Ricardo has described Cancun and some of the surrounding areas as a "cultural black hole," I kind of have to agree with that. I was more than ready to move on.

Today, Tom and I went to the hotel zone. We didn't spend long there before going to Puerto Morelos. It's a fishing town, about half an hour from Cancun. There wasn't a whole lot to see, but we walked around for a couple of hours and got a drink. It was nice and much less touristy than Cancun. I was super duper hot though, I think I got a little more sunburned near my hairline, and back of my knees. Sigh. I am a bit of lobster.

We came back to Ricardo's and got a bite to eat and rented "The Box." All I can say, is that I don't get that movie. Made NO sense to me.

Tom and I are planning to go to Valladolid tomorrow. I spent a few days there last year, but I think there are some things he wants to see. I am also not in the mood for a several hour bus ride. I am hoping to me in Guatemala within the next week, and in Xela in the next ten days or so.

0 comments:

Post a Comment