Xela - Coban: I now know what crowded really means

I left Xela early yesterday morning, around seven and caught a chicken bus to Huehuetenango. It was a fairly easy ride and only took a couple of hours. The seats were full and slightly overflowing, but I only had one person next to me so it wasn't to bad. the chicken buses in Guatemala are brightly painted old school buses. I have heard some people say that they have seen chickens on them, but I have yet too. However when I was waiting for someone to get my back pack off the top of the bus they brought down a few shallow buckets that had two or three turkeys tied inside them.

After that I had to catch three more mini vans until I got to Coban. One was so crowded that the only place I could sit was on top of the engine (I think), it was super hot and I had to sit on a newspaper and my sweater and I thought I could smell my trousers burning. These buses have seats for 15 people, but on the ones I went on there was rarely less than 21. I decided to make my way straight to Coban instead of passing through Antigua and spending the night to save time and money. I don't think I saved either. It took me about 12 or 13 hours and cost 85Q (a little over $10).

I am spending the day in Coban, but am too tired to really do much. I slept about fourteen hours last night and still feel exhausted and am ready for a nap. Am planning on heading to Flores tomorrow, I am just debating whether I will take Chicken Buses or a shuttle.

2 comments:

Anonymous February 10, 2010 at 12:17 PM  

Miss Letsinger,

I'm glad to know that you have been looking for me. Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to leave the country. Maybe if you come back to the States I can hitch another ride. Glad you have Balboa to protect you. Jose

Wandering Turtle February 27, 2010 at 7:39 AM  

JOSE!!! I have missed you my dear. Perhaps it´s time for a Mexico meet?

Post a Comment